Thursday 31 March 2011

Joli OS

Haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd give a brief review of my experience with Joli OS. And before we begin, the one thing I don't really like is the new name but I'll let that slide.

Joli OS's new Google Docs connection in the File Browser is quite simply brilliant. OK, so it doesn't provide anything that viewing Google Docs in the browser doesn't but the interface is great. The unified way you access cloud storage in the form of Dropbox and now Google Docs really refines Joli OS into what I consider is the best Cloud OS of them all. The ability to run native apps if required together with a simple install, single login and bam, there it is, all your apps synchronised, access to cloud storage and all with no configuration required. One account. One cloud OS to rule them all. And since the last update to version 1.2 even the access through the browser (and I can only speak for Chrome) is seamless.

Prior to finding Joli OS 1.2 I used to go through a bit of a long winded process to configure DropBox using a series of soft-links to my SD card on my netbook just in case I needed a re-install the operating system, which has been known once or twice. Now I don't need to bother. I don't download and sync to my disk at all since it's been integrated into the Joli OS file browser. It works great. And now with Google Docs added to the mix the process of access to files and docs is becoming evermore seamless.

When I need to setup a new machine - or reconfigure/install my current one - I just install Joli OS. Login and bam, there it is. All my links are just there. Google Docs, DropBox... ready to type and go. Simples.

Can't wait for the next step - drag and drop between DropBox and Google Docs. Joli OS will be awesome when that happens. As it is I find it pretty bloody good. I reckon they should rename it JoliGOOD.

No comments: