Thursday 15 November 2007

Just Sync and Go

I've recently had the need for a quick and easy way to synchronise files between my main PC and a usb stick for work remotely. Now for the archiving and backup of my main home server I use rsync. Rsync is very powerful if a little fiddly to get set up but once you have it working it works great.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. As I said, I really just needed a way to sync up some files on a usb stick so I could work on the files on my main PC and then sync with the USB stick to work remotely while all the time making sure I was working with the latest versions. I've used various backup/sync programs in the past and never really got on too well. Then I came across a great little program called Allway Sync 'n' Go (version 6.3.3) - it's free for personal use [homepage: http://www.allwaysync.com]

Have to say it's great little program and very easy to use. Select a source directory, select a destination, choose whether to sync one way or both, click analyse, have a quick scan of the list of changed files and make any adjustments - usually none are needed, hit sync and you're done. It's that easy. The analysis screen may look a little scary at first when a great long list of files appear but after looking at it for a few minutes you get to understand what it is showing you and there's really no problem.

If you're in the market for easy to use backup and sync software then give Allway Sync 'n' Go a look - you know it makes sense. I give it the MadTechReport Thumbs Up.

No comments: